The NAIA Memorial Page was inspired by this post on the NAIA open Forum:
We are a widespread artist community. There are a lot of people doing art shows. And most of us are very busy. Often we can not even stay in touch with those artists we are friends with, let alone those that we know and care about but don’t have much direct contact with. There are times when we do not even learn about their passing for months. Often our opportunity to mourn them and share in memories with our fellow artist‘s is lost to us.
Or on occasion we hear about an artist who has passed away, who we are told was an important part of our communities history, an individual who was a meaningful person in the lives of many, and we have no appropriate place to learn more about them, see examples of their work and listen to what their peers have to say.
Would it be out of place to have a section on the NAIA web site set aside to remember and celebrate those artists whose work, humanity and contributions to our community made our lives a little better? Where artists who have special knowledge about the person can tell us what they were like and why they meant so much to them. Where others can tell a story about that person, some experience shared at a show or on the road that makes us laugh aloud or smile with appreciation or marvel at their strength of character.
As I said, I hesitated to bring this up. I know that the Michigan Guild, the ACC and the NAIA make mention of the passing of an artist in their newsletters but those often lack insight and understanding of the real loss we have experienced. Sometimes it takes a lot of us, contributing what we remember, to make them live on in our hearts and minds. I guess I am thinking about a special NAIA web site where we can pay our respects and learn about our history.
Rick Bruno, NAIA member
Memorials to those important to us...
- John Wrenn - February 28, 2011
- Robert Barab - February 27, 2011
- Carol Sedstrom Ross - June 14, 2010
- Jan Dorer - April 6, 2010
- Paul Matthaei - April 6, 2010
- Roy Shallenberg - March 24, 2010
- Denny Davis - January 3, 2010
- Michael Craven - June 2009
- Joseph LaPierre - August 2009
- Bea Lyons - January 2009
- Patrick Turner - December 2008
- Sharon Pikrone - December 2008
- Drew Smith - December 2008
- Timothy Langholz - November 2008
- Keith Lebenzon - September 2008
- Carol Westlake - February 2008
- T. Scott Halpin - February 2008
- Glenn Donovan - January 2008
- Charles "Charlie" Hutson - December 2007
- Howard Lieberman - April 2007
- Thomas R. Dawkins - March 2007
- Bill Coombs - March 18, 2006
- Dale Walters - June 26, 2006
- Bill Ruth - November 19, 2006
- Mo Dana - November - 2006
- Hal David Berger - 2006
- rb Nugent - 2006
- Roddy Reed - October 2005
- Scott Davis - October 2005
- Larry Greer - September 2005
- Marvin Hill - November 2003
- Robert Hutchinson- November 2003
- Janet Long - November 2002
- Michael Mick - 2002
Please email the to establish a new memorial page. You will be notified when it is ready and you may add your memorial comments to it.